December 2023 Product Updates
At Harness, we have been hard at work so you can delight your customers without facing software delivery toil. Here is what has been changing in the previous month across Harness Products.
Continuous Delivery & GitOps
- New stage-level timeouts: Harness has introduced stage-level timeouts for the following stage types: Deploy, Build, Approval, Security Test, Pipeline, and Custom Stage.
- New support for steady state check: If you use Kubernetes version 1.16 or later, you can enable the steady state check for Native Helm jobs from Default Settings at any organizational scope (account, organization, or project) in Harness.
Additional support for bidirectional sync: Earlier, you could configure bidirectional sync for Harness Git Experience by configuring webhooks only at the account scope. Now, you can also configure such webhooks at the organization and project scopes.
- Notification support for freeze windows: You can now use the Freeze window is enabled setting (OnEnableFreezeWindow in YAML) to send notifications when a freeze window is enabled.
Full Continuous Delivery & GitOps Release Notes
- New Chaos Probe Limit: This release adds default limits for the number of chaos probes that can be created when a chaos infrastructure is created by adding a chaos probe resource limit per account
- New Log viewer: This release adds a new log viewer, which includes:
New tab for helper pod logs. Support for grouping and minimising logs. Colors for various log levels. Logs can be downloaded, copied, and scrolled over. Position retention when logs are manually scrolled while streaming. Parsing arguments.
- New Template and YAML Validation: This release adds a validation check to the template name and entry point in the YAML to match at least one template name with the entry point name. The check ensures that the visual builder shows the faults correctly.
- New support for SMP: This release adds support for chaos dashboards in SMP.
- New support for ports: This release adds support for source and destination ports, isolating the ports as well as excluding them for VMware and Linux network faults.
- New support for SOT and EOT probes: This release allows you to run multiple SOT or EOT probes in parallel in Kubernetes
- Additional Support for Dynatrace: This release supports min, max and mean values as parameters in the Dynatrace probe.
- Additional API support for fault-pod: This release introduces a new fault- pod API block. This fault blocks the API based on path filtering.
- New Support for Generic script injector: This release adds an enhanced generic script injector framework that offers greater flexibility and control over your chaos experiments. It helps add chaos to target hosts using custom scripts that are passed using a configmap. These scripts are executed using SSH credentials securely referenced within the configmap.
- New Linux stress and network fault args: This release adds Linux stress and network fault custom arguments/flags that can be used with the stress-ng(stressNGFlags input) and tc (netemArgs input) commands, respectively.
- Additional support for fault- pod network rate limits: This release introduces a new fault- pod network rate limit. This fault determines the resilience of a Kubernetes pod under limited network bandwidth.
- Pod Memory Hog Chaos Experiment: The pod memory hog chaos experiment provides distinction between experiments that failed (as an expected result) versus experiments that actually failed.
- Experiment UI Update: Added a "Run now" button to the three-dot menu on the experiment dashboard. You can run cron experiments manually now.
Full Chaos Engineering Release Notes
Internal Developer Portal (IDP)
- New Scorecards Overview Page: We have added a new overview page for Scorecards and Individual checks in the scorecards
- Scorecards API Support: The new overview pages for Scorecards and Checks have API support added to it.
- New Plugin support: Added support for two new Plugins OpsGenie and Datadog Plugin
- New Harness SRM Backstage Plugin: We have released a new Harness Service Reliability Backstage Plugin, that tracks the SLOs and Error Budgets for monitored services in Harness SRM module
Full Internal Developer Portal Notes
Software Engineering Insights
- New Support for SCM PRs Reports:
Added support for viewing detailed information about modified files within the drill down of the SCM PRs Report.
- Additional support for Public Dashboard role: Added support for users with the Public Dashboard role to view widget filters in the dashboard.
Continuous Error Tracking
- New Additional Mac Support: Added support for Mac. Support includes Intel and Apple M1/M2 chips.
Full Continuous Error Tracking Release Notes
Self-Managed Enterprise Edition
Additional Support for Secrets Audit: You can now view Runtime Usage for secrets.
You can now add custom certificates to delegates by mounting files under /opt/harness-delegate/ca-bundle/ or mounting a folder to /opt/harness-delegate/ca-bundle/.
Domain allow lists for notifications: To improve security, Harness has introduced a feature that allows you to add domain allowlists for Email, Slack, Microsoft Teams, Webhook, and PagerDuty notification channels at the account level. Earlier, this was only supported for fixed URL domains. Now, support has been added for expression URLs.
- Continuous Delivery And GitOps
Availability of deployment step group templates in custom stages:
When opened in the context of a custom stage, the Templates side panel in Pipeline Studio lists step group templates created from deployment stages. The Type dropdown field in the panel also includes entries for filtering step groups created from custom and deployment stages.
- Continuous Integration:
Updated Support for Test Splitting: You can now enable test splitting for Test Intelligence in the Visual editor as well as the YAML editor
Additional support for Kubernetes self-signed certificates: When you configure a Kubernetes build farm to use self-signed certificates, you can now use DESTINATION_CA_PATH instead of CI_MOUNT_VOLUMES and ADDITIONAL_CERTS_PATH
New Support for Build and Push to GAR: This release includes a new Build and Push to GAR step offering first-class support for build and pushing artifacts to Google Artifact Registry (GAR). Previously, you could use Run steps to build and push to GAR. This new step combines the build and push steps into one streamlined step.
- Security Testing Orchestration
Added support for Anchore Enterprise: You can now scan your repositories and other components used in your code with Anchore Enterprise, a scanner that provides visibility into supply chain security risks
Full Self-Managed Enterprise Release Notes
Continuous Delivery & GitOps
- AIDA™️ replaces Coveo for support case deflection: AIDA replaces Coveo in proactively assisting you with content recommendations when you are entering a subject for your ticket in the Submit a ticket form.
- Update Green Services in ECS Deployments: If green services exist in your Blue Green deployment, you can configure Harness to update those services instead of deleting them and then re-creating them with a new manifest and artifact. Additionally, before beginning the deployment, Harness validates the blue and green services based on the target group and tags them appropriately. If the validation fails, Harness aborts the deployment. For more information, go to ECS blue/green service validations. This feature is behind the feature flag CDS_ECS_BG_VALIDATION
- Delegate Selectors for Codebase Tasks: With this feature flag enabled, Harness uses your delegate selectors for delegate-related codebase tasks. Delegate selection for these tasks takes precedence in order of pipeline selectors over connector selectors. Currently, delegate selectors for CI codebase tasks is behind the feature flag CI_CODEBASE_SELECTOR. Contact Harness Support to enable the feature.
- New fault- Linux network rate: This release introduces a new fault- Linux network rate limit. This fault slows down network connectivity on a Linux machine by limiting the number of network packets processed during a time period
- Tag filter for Linux experiments as been removed: The tag filter in the query that fetches Linux experiments was removed so that Linux experiments can be edited. Previously, the Linux experiments could not be edited
Software Engineering Insights (SEI)
- New Support for mapping Github Actions artifacts: Added support for mapping Github Actions artifacts with Harness CD. Now when configuring stages for a workflow profile, selecting GitHub Actions or Harness CI as the CI provider now allows you to define Harness CD in the subsequent stage for mapping artifact data. The Github Actions integration is a beta feature that is behind the entitlement ALLOW_GITHUB_ACTION_TILE.
- New Support for calculating Churn Rate metrics in Jira: Added support for calculating the Churn Rate metric in Jira. This metric helps measure scope changes during the sprint and can be configured in the Sprint Metrics Single Stat widget. This feature is behind the entitlement JIRA_CHURN_RATE
Continue the Journey